Thursday, February 10, 2011

True Grit, part 2 of 3

"daylily"

1. True Grit, the book
QOTD
"Goodbye, Reuben, a love for decency does not abide in you."
- Rooster Cogburn's ex-wife

Book: "True Grit" by Charles Portis
Review: 4 bill-stars (out of 5)... excellent!

"True Grit" was a great read. It's very Huck Finn-ish... Americana, great dialogue, characters that are larger than life, etc. I kept visualizing The Duke as Rooster Cogburn, not the Big Lebowski. Sue me.

The book is also very much a guy's book. I heart this description of Rooster's living conditions. "Men will live like billy goats if they are let alone."

QOTD2
"Goodbye, Nola, I hope that little nail-selling bastard will make you happy this time."
- Rooster's retort
I saw 1) the new movie, 2) read the book, and now all that's left is 3) to re-watch the original movie.

2. To resign or not to resign
I've never seen Hosey Mubarak and Jerry Sloan in the same place at the same time.

he he... yow, bill

1 comment:

sportsfan1981 said...

About Jerry Sloan, I'm shocked to hear of his resignation after 23 years as head coach of the Utah Jazz. Nowadays, it's extremely rare for a player, manager, or coach to spend that much time with one organization. I can't believe how much the NBA has changed since he started coaching the Jazz. It will take a long time to get used to the fact he is no longer the head coach.