Friday, November 3, 2017

Art Institute Monkey

 
"Art Institute art shot"

Lord help me, I like this pic. (ha) It's people huddled around the Art Institute's crown jewel: Seurat's excellent pointillism.
www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/27992

Fantasy baseball research... GO!

Razzball rules. They have their own glossary of Razz terms: razzball.com/fantasy-baseball-terms
For example... all fantasy owners know about Sonavabench!
Sonavabench! – Exclamation when one sees that a player on their bench has had a monster day. Can also be used as a noun or adjective.
razzball.com/fantasy-baseball-terms/#Sonavabench!
Well, the World Series is over. Once again, the MLB playoffs were glorious! So, it's time for the first research for the 2018 fantasy baseball season. (he he)
2018 Too Early Mock Drafts Final ADP
Let's see - Naperville will draft: BRYCE! and Cody B and Rhys and Bregsy and Rougie and...




Fatal Grace

Book: Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
Review: 3 bill-stars (out of 5)... good!
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/review/show/2172941668

This is the second book in the Chief Inspector Gamache series. It's very similar to the first. Fatal Grace is strong on characters and okay on the mystery part. The plot here is primarily a vehicle for us to get to know and interact Louise Penny's wonderful characters. It's funny how much the author loves her dashing lead character, Chief Inspector Gamache. The writing style is very enjoyable, and I especially like the unique French/Canadian setting and themes that permeate the book.

QOTD
'What did God do?' Emilie asked, her voice hushed. 
'He finished his pie then turned to the wall. He seemed to be rubbing it for a while, then he turned back to me with the most radiant smile I'd ever seen. I was filled with joy.' 
'I imagine you're often filled with joy.' 
'I'm a happy man, madame. I'm very lucky and I know it.' 
'C'est ça.' She nodded. 'It's the knowing of it. I only became really happy after my family was killed. Horrible to say.' 
'I believe I understand,' said Gamache.
- Chief Inspector Gamache in Fatal Grace
I like that passage. Gamache is happy, and importantly, he is aware of it and aware of how special it is. When Gamache said this it made me think of my all-time fave detective Wallander. The two detectives are pretty much opposites. Gamache is Canadian, stylish, together, cool, happy, and married. Wallander is a hot mess: Swedish, crinkled, out of shape, awkward, single and struggling with relationships. I like both books because the authors are great. I like Wallander more because... oh, I don't know. (ha, smile)

Like I said, the mystery part of the book, the plot, is just okay. It's not bad, just a little hokey. Fatal Grace is a strong 3 bill-star effort. Also, for you ladies... I think that both genders will enjoy this series. Louise Penny is a an excellent writer. A good read.




My fave (not a) victim

I heart Julia Hartley-Brewer. Years ago, some mope put his hand on her knee under the table at some public dinner function, and...

QOTD
I calmly and politely explained to him that, if he did it again, I would punch him in the face. He withdrew his hand and that was the end of the matter.
- Julia Hartley-Brewer, uk sun post
So it seems the UK is having their own weird leftie purge on sexual harassment/abuse/whatever... following our lead, I presume. The knee-grabber, some cabinet minister in London, has resigned from his government job, even though JHB says: she did not feel like she was a victim of a sexual assault, and found the incident nothing more than “mildly amusing”.

Kudos to Julie Hartley-Brewer. It's nice to see confidence and strength. She's not a victim. She's a leader.




Pol karma?

I googled it.
karma - destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.
Sorry about the strong negativity, but... VA dems ran a truly ugly commercial showing a (white male) Trump supporter trying to run over Hispanic and Muslim children in his pickup truck with an confederate flag in the back. (I re-read that sentence and it sounds surreal, shrug) They call the ad: American Nightmare.
Virginia ad features minority kids chased by truck with Gillespie sticker, Confederate flag
This ad was pulled after "recent events" (wapo oped). The "recent events" being: a Muslim terrorist in NYNY mowed a bunch of people down in a rental pickup truck.

First, a prediction: VA dems will be unhappy with their pol karma. Their lying and ugliness will be rewarded with a loss at the polls.

Second, and more importantly, that TV commercial doesn't target a repub pol opponent or some objectionable policy. It targets the people. It says that people who don't vote for us are violent racists. Or, as Crooked Hillary said: People who don't vote for me are deplorable.

Hey, it's hard to view or even hear about ugly pol ads like the one above, but the cost may be worth it. Like Crooked Hillary, I don't think calling half the country deplorable is going to improve your election chances or your pol karma. I don't know; it's just a guess. Or more accurately, it's my hope. My hope - lefties will keep up the "deplorable strategy" and continue their losing ways. (cha!)
thanks... yow, bill

PS - Here's a fun bonus pic: an extreme closeup of some shenanigans in Seurat's masterpiece.

"Art Institute Monkey"



No comments: